ARTICLE UPDATE: I’ve been publishing roughly one article a week but not always on the usual Wednesdays. Lately I’ve published and updated reference material for a guest article Tyll Hertsens asked me to write for InnerFidelity:
- InnerFidelity Headphone Amp Measurements and the reference articles:
O2 UPDATE: There are a half dozen or so group buys around the world for the O2 in various flavors and forms. Much to my surprise, somewhere around 1000 circuit boards have been ordered making the O2 one of the most popular DIY headphone projects anyone can remember. That number is even more amazing when you consider most made their purchasing decision when there were only a couple O2 prototype amps in circulation. The boards have been ordered and there should be lots of people building the O2 in the next few weeks.
CHALLENGE UPDATE: I put out an open challenge to compare the O2 on a test bench or in blind listening to much more expensive headphone amps. I also threw out a challenge to hear the difference between op amps. It’s been many months and not a single person has come forward. Where are all those who swear they hear obvious differences between gear or have been critical of the O2?
FUTURE ARTICLE POSSIBILITIES: There are only 11 more weeks left in the year and here are some possible articles (no promises) to wrap up 2011:
- 4 Inexpensive USB DACs – Under $40 DACs as portable companions to the O2 amp.
- FiiO E11 Review – How does it compare to the Mini3 it’s based on and the O2?
- FiiO E6 Review – How does it compare as an upgrade to the E5?
- Sansa Clip Zip Review – Sansa’s long awaited replacement for the Clip+.
- Objective Desktop Amp (ODA) – The O2’s upgraded desktop sibling.
- FiiO E10 Review – How does this upcoming 24/96 DAC/amp compare to the E7?
- Flawed eBay Headphone DAC – Yet another typically flawed eBay design on my bench.
- 24/96 USB DAC Reviews – I plan to test some other DACs capable of 24 bit USB audio.
- Balanced Audio – The main advantages and disadvantages of balanced audio.
- O2 vs DIY (Pimeta/JDS/AMB/Gilmore/?) – How does the O2/ODA stack up to other popular DIY amps besides the Mini3?
REVIEW DECISIONS: I get near daily requests to review some piece of gear someone already owns or is contemplating buying. Many are fairly obscure but there has been some consensus. Various inexpensive small USB DACs are the number one request. And the FiiO E6, E10, E11, and new Sansa Clip Zip, are also frequently requested. The E10 isn’t even widely available yet so it might not make it this year but the hopefully I can get the rest reviewed.
TECHNICAL TOPICS: There’s been a clear consensus for an article on balanced headphone gear but I’m open to suggestions for other technical topics. Are there suggestions for other technical articles with broad appeal I’ve not covered yet